"We had Husband and Father, and Children, and Sisters, and Friends and Relations, and House, and Home, and many Comforts of this Life: but now we may say as Job, Naked came I out of my Mother's Womb, and naked shall I return: The Lord gave, and the Lord hath taken away, Blessed be the Name of the Lord." -Mary Rowlandson pg.221
"Thus he whose tender mercies are over all his works hath placed a principle in the human mind which incites to exercise goodness toward every living creature; and this being singly attended to, people become tenderhearted and sympathizing, but being frequently and totally rejected, the mind shuts itself up in a contrary disposition."-John Woolman pg.257
"My wickedness, as I am in myself, has long appeared to me perfectly ineffable and swallowing up all thought and imagination like an infinite deluge or mountains over my heard. I know not how to express better what my sins appear to me to be, than heaping infinite up infinite, and multiplying infinite by infinite."-Johnathon Edwards pg.275
"In reality there is perhaps no one of our natural Passions so hard to subdue as Pride. Disguise it, struggle with it, beat it down, stifle it, mortify it as such as one pleases, it is still alive, and will every now and then peep out and show itself."-Ben Franklin pg.385
"When I met with any boy who I knew could write, I would tell him I could write as well as he." -Fredrick Douglas pg.1541
"Why should we live with such hurry and waste of life? We are determined to be starved before we are hungry."- Henry David Thoreau pg.1682
"These God-breathing machines are no more, in the sight of their masters, than the cotton they plant, or the horses they tend."-Harriet Jacobs pg.2014
"It avails not, time nor place-distance avails not."-Walt Whitman pg.2183
Wednesday, September 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment