Tuesday, September 29, 2009

2-"My Thirteen Virtues" (FINAL)

Inspired by Ben Franklin's list of virtues and precepts, I wrote my own list
you can read them in the blog that follows this blog. I listed "Patience" as my first virtue because as a mother I should be tolerant and with-standing. Raising children requires a steady, but patient hand. I am also familiar with difficult work outside the home. My career and studies take time to accomplish. However, when parenthood and the normal trials of life begin to overwhelm and I feel my patience my soon fail, I pause and give "Thanks" for my blessing (the second virtue on my list). I believe all lives are gifts, and I thank Him for allowing me to have such a fulfilled one.

"Respect" was third on my list. I respect God, myself, and others. I find that when I show others respect, I receive respect in return. I treat people with the dignity that I believe every human being deserves. I am not "Prejudice" in regard to their ideals or appearance. We were all created special in the eyes of God, therefore I intend to treat everyone in that manner.

Alexander Pope wrote to "To err is human." That is why "Forgiveness," my fourth virtue, is so imperative. Forgiveness allows us to address, learn, and move past our mistakes. Forgiveness is a powerful action that can cleanse your soul or eat you alive.

Reasonable decision making is also imperative therefore, "Reason" is my seventh virtue. I was taught as a child that what I do today will effect me tomorrow. I still stand by that thought. When I making any decision I think of who it will effect. Whether the repercussions are positive or negative, I consider my "Limit" and use moderation. I make decisions that I know will bring "Honor" to myself and my family. As a parent and a child I am aware that my actions not only reflect on me, but also on the ones closest to me.

Great pressure was also applied to me during childhood to be successful, and the way to become successful is through "Knowledge." For centuries women have struggled to create a way for themselves and other women to have an education. I take advantage of the opportunities those women have provided me. That's why I listed "knowledge" as my tenth virtue.


These virtues can be arduous and difficult to follow; but if I get discouraged, I "Rest." I rest my mind, by body, and my soul to achieve the "Serenity" I identified as my eleventh virtue. I believe everyone should take time out of their day for themselves only. A quiet 10 minutes alone can be just enough to revive and rejuvenate.

The last virtue, "Love," is without question the most important. Above all things I do in my life, I "Love." I love myself, my family, my career, and country. I love my child unconditionally and she will learn to love the same. I love my career, therefore I excel. I love my country, and therefore I sacrifice.

The 13 virtues I listed are simple rules of conduct that I make an effort to uphold everyday. Unlike Franklin, I didn't make these rules as away to make myself feel superior. In fact, I made them for the completely opposite reason. I maintain these virtues for the ones around me. So that they may feel important, loved, and respected. They help keep my "Priorities" in check and force me to a better person. Maybe if Franklin would have considered the ones around him more, then he might have been better equipped to uphold his 13 virtues.

No comments:

Post a Comment