Wednesday, August 26, 2009
"A Narrative of the Captivity and Resoration of Mrs. Mary Rowlandson"
It's strange to me that we are reading this story. Just before school started my fiance and I took a trip to Gatlinburg, TN. We had to drive through the Smokey Mountains to get there. They were so massive that I can't help, but think of how scary and overwhelming they must have looked to the settlers, pioneers, and In the case of our story, Mary Rowlandson. The woman witnessed her family, friends, and townspeople being murdered right in front of her. She held her dying six year old daughter in her arms for nine days until she finally passed. She was kidnapped, starved, and beaten. All the while, she was trekking the Allegheny Mountains in February with the same company of Indians that she saw slaughter her family. I COULD NOT IMAGINE! What a feeling that must have been for her? Standing at the bottom of a freezing mountain, knowing you have no choice, but to travel over it. She said, "One hill was so steep that I was fain to creep up upon my knees, and to hold by the twiggs and bushes to keep my self from falling backward." I thought that drive through the Smokies was scary, I guess I don't know the first thing about scary!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment