"And you that shall cross from shore to shore years hence are more to me, and more in my meditations, than you might suppose."-Walt Whitman
My daughter is two years old now and considering the direction in which our society is going, I wonder constantly about her future and the future of her generation. I want her to experience the wonderful things I have experienced in my life. I hope they mean as much to her as they once meant to me. I want her to have a fulfilled life, but be aware that with ups come downs. I want her to know that hard times fell upon me and that they will fall upon her as well, but to be strong in knowing that she is not alone. I want her to have to tools to make the smallest or greatest outcome of whatever situation she may encounter. I encourage her to explore and to take on what the world has to offer. I also encourage the world to challenge her and open her eyes to the glories that are within her grasps everyday. What the future holds for Laurel comes into my thoughts throughout the day and like in Whitman's poem, it is the hope of accomplishment and the wishes of great things that keep me bound to the future.
My daughter is two years old now and considering the direction in which our society is going, I wonder constantly about her future and the future of her generation. I want her to experience the wonderful things I have experienced in my life. I hope they mean as much to her as they once meant to me. I want her to have a fulfilled life, but be aware that with ups come downs. I want her to know that hard times fell upon me and that they will fall upon her as well, but to be strong in knowing that she is not alone. I want her to have to tools to make the smallest or greatest outcome of whatever situation she may encounter. I encourage her to explore and to take on what the world has to offer. I also encourage the world to challenge her and open her eyes to the glories that are within her grasps everyday. What the future holds for Laurel comes into my thoughts throughout the day and like in Whitman's poem, it is the hope of accomplishment and the wishes of great things that keep me bound to the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment